Ad Astra

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A New Space Iteration

2 posters

A Visit to the Captain

Admin
    Admin
    Admin

A Visit to the Captain Empty A Visit to the Captain

Post  Admin Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:58 pm

On the Boston docks, the wharfmaster finds Cain. "Archer!" he calls from his small, weathered-grey office. "Someone here to see you!"
    Pendragon
    Pendragon

A Visit to the Captain Empty Re: A Visit to the Captain

Post  Pendragon Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:17 pm

Cain glances up, scowling from the cargo manifest in his hands as he glanced at the chronometer on his wrist.

"Who is it, and can it wait?" He bellows back.
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:52 pm

"Uhhh, looks like someone from Haight," the wharfmaster calls back. "Says it's important."
    Pendragon
    Pendragon

Post  Pendragon Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:25 pm

With a sigh, Cain sets the clipboard down on the cargo and heads up to the office, hands slipping into his pockets as he walks.
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:01 pm

An older man is waiting for him and, as the wharfmaster noted, he is wearing a Haight enterprises polo shirt, slacks, and a windbreaker. "Captain," he greets, offering a hand. "My name's Gordon Lews. Thanks for meeting with me. Sorry to interrupt your work - I wanted to talk to you in person."
    Pendragon
    Pendragon

Post  Pendragon Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:17 pm

Archer takes it, shaking the hand briskly; his doesn't smile, per se, but nods in a welcoming manner.

"Mr. Lews," he says, "what can I do for you?"

Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:23 pm

"Drop the job with Lani?" Laws suggests with a wry smile.
    Pendragon
    Pendragon

Post  Pendragon Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:48 pm

"Wouldn't be sporting," he replies smoothly, "any particular reason?"
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:51 am

"Has she told you anything about this?" Gordon asks, tone plaintive rather than challenging. "Anything about why she decided to pause a very successful career, drop her life entirely, rebuild an antique ship and head off into the cosmos?"
    Pendragon
    Pendragon

Post  Pendragon Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:52 am

"If she had, Mr. Lews, wouldn't be quite right of me to say," Cain replies, "now it sounds like your business might be with her; need me to set up an appointment?"
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:14 am

"Lani and I have known each other most of her life," Lews says. "And, believe me, I've tried to talk to her about this. Didn't work - so I'm trying other avenues. Look, Captain, I know she's a very persuasive woman. She get this...glint in her eye and, suddenly, she can make you think it's snowing in the Mojave desert because she believes it so hard.

"She's also pretty clever, enough to've picked folks for her crew that had a touch of not just desperation, but real, honest need in them. Enough to guarantee they'd be to focused on what the deal could offer them to look at her side of the plan."

He stops, then shakes his head. "God, I'm making her sound so devious. She's not. She just...is so determined to make this happen, she had her bases well-covered. It's become a crusade for her. She's obsessed with it being the answer to her problems. It's not. I'm here because I know it's not. I'm worried about her, about all of you. And the rest of you aren't my business, but...can you at least reconsider this whole thing?"
    Pendragon
    Pendragon

Post  Pendragon Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:35 pm

"I'd much rather a woman on a crusade than people without a direction. Lots of folks go through life, Mr. Lews, with a sail and no rudder - where the wind takes them, off they go."

Cain shrugs a bit, running a hand back over his hair. "You've said it yourself, she's got her bases covered - if she wants to pay a fortune for a two year cruise because she's got a wild hair across her famous butt to light out to the Black? Well, it's her money to spend, isn't it?"
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:05 pm

"I agree. And I don't blame you for having a pragmatic view on the situation. You don't know her, and her well-being shouldn't matter much to you. I'm just hoping for an illogical burst of compassion, I guess. Lani tried to kill herself a year ago." He seems grimly ashamed of having revealed something so personal. "It's wrong of me to tell you that, but I'm trying to explain why I think this is bad for her.

"I don't think she should be committed or anything, I just think that being on a ship for two years with people who can't really do her much good is going to make things worse, not better. And I don't want her to end up the way she was last year." He considers. "Uhmmm, not that you and the crew aren't fine people, but you're not...you know, a viable support system for her," He looks around the wharfmaster's office a bit. "No offense," he adds, almost as an afterthought.
    Pendragon
    Pendragon

Post  Pendragon Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:15 pm

Cain just laughs softly, shaking his head. "Let me ask you this, Mr. Lews - you ever been star-side long enough to really appreciate it? Not a jaunt from one meeting to the next, or whatever it is you do, but to actually get out there and see what it's like?"
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:39 pm

"No, I haven't," Lews admits. "And I'm not saying that's not what she needs. It's not the ship or the travel that worries me. It's the ship and the travel with a crew she doesn't know. What's going to happen if she breaks down out there? Or what f she decides, after two months, that it's not the dream-come-true she imagined it would be, that it isn't the panacea to all her ills, and abandons you folks?"
    Pendragon
    Pendragon

Post  Pendragon Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:51 pm

"We get by," Cain responds simply, "Now look, I realize your hearts in the right spot, but I think you're really just over-thinking this. We'll get by, she'll get by, and between us all, it'll work out some kinda ways before it's over."
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:41 pm

Lews sighs. "Okay. It was a last-ditch effort as it is. And I'm not trying to dig at you, Captain. I know she wouldn't pick an incompetent crew. Just...doing right by my conscience. Maybe you're right - she may know exactly what she's doing, and you might end up having the time of your life out there. I tend to lean toward the cynical side, anyway."

He rises, offering his hand. "Thanks for talking to me, Captain."
    Pendragon
    Pendragon

Post  Pendragon Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:09 pm

Cain smiles a bit, shaking the hand.

"My pleasure," he says, "hopefully it turns out all right for everyone."

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:39 am