Ad Astra

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A New Space Iteration

2 posters

Lessons for Kit

stareyed
    stareyed

Lessons for Kit Empty Lessons for Kit

Post  stareyed Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:05 am

Once Bishop Cleary sets a time for tutoring, probably after all the major repairs from the latest misadventures have been completed. Kit grumbles but agrees to show up.

She DOES show up in the mess hall, but it's with an armload of wire and some tools.

"So... can we do this later? I've got to go repair the...thing"

When Adian asks which thing, her reply is even more ingenuious. "The thing that's broken, yeah, that thing." she tries, clearly stalling.

When it's clear the Bishop isn't buying it she huffs and sits down, piling her wire and tools all over the table. "Ok...fine.. so how's this gonna work?"

Aidan_Cleary
    Aidan_Cleary

Lessons for Kit Empty Re: Lessons for Kit

Post  Aidan_Cleary Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:48 pm

"You will have class six days a week. We will honor the Sabbath and not have class on Sunday. Each day will consist of a 4 hour block of time devoted to your studies. If your ship duties interfere with your block of hours on a particular day you will make up for the time the following day. You will thus have 4 hours of study per day. This will include lessons and homework."

The Bishop pauses for just a moment to let the information sink in. However, he doesn't pause long enough to let Kit respond.

"Each day will cover a different topic. Tuesday will be comparative religion. Wednesday will be Science. Thursday will be History. Friday will be English. Saturday will be Cultural Studies."

Another very brief pause.

"Cultural Studies will cover various cultures including Ghost culture and Vosch culture. Monday will be devoted to special topics. What we study will be your choice every week. We will determine the next topic at the end of every lesson on Monday and I will develop a lesson based off a topic of your choice."

The Bishop finally takes a solid breath.

"Any questions so far?"
    stareyed
    stareyed

Post  stareyed Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:59 pm

Kit blinks at him for a few moments, realizing that he’s serious.

“Four hours?” she asks in dismay. “That’s 24 hours a week… I don’t need no 2,496 hours of learnin’ in the next two years… I ain’t that bad off.”

She blinks and changes subjects suddenly, hey, how come no math? I’m decent at math.”
    Aidan_Cleary
    Aidan_Cleary

Post  Aidan_Cleary Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:34 am

"24 hours will be our base per week. If it turns out that you are right I will consider reducing your designated time per day."

The Bishop smiles at Kit.

"That sentence proves that you certainly need some work. We will make sure to cover double negatives as one of our first lessons for English. As for math, I doubt there is much I can teach you on the subject. However, if there are certain areas you want to learn more about please let me know and we can cover it as one of your Monday lessons."

The Bishop pauses a moment.

"I will test you on a regular basis. Your assignments will be a combination of verbal and written responses as we discussed. I will also have you give verbal reports from time to time with the crew acting as your audience. Public speaking is an important life skill and I expect you did not get a lot of practice with it over the years."

The Bishop's tone changes. It is much more serious.

"As for what you need, Lani brought me on to act as your tutor. I consider my duties in that regard just as serious as my other duties. You are almost an adult so I promise I will treat you with the respect that you deserve. However, you are not an adult yet. Once you turn 18 we can have a greater discussion about your education. In the mean time my years of experience will determine where gaps exist in your education and we will fill them as I see fit."

Bishop Cleary smiles again.

"Plus, I'm a stubborn old telepath so arguing with me probably isn't going to be very productive for either of us. The old can be just as stubborn as the young if not more so."
    stareyed
    stareyed

Post  stareyed Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:03 am

Kit's eyes get wide at the thought of written essays, and even wider at the mention of presentations and public speaking. Frack, Essays were bad enough, but getting up in front of everyone? She wasn't an actress like Lani... she read about famous people but her entire life had been ducking blows and trying not to be noticed. She actually looks terrified for an instant until the Bishop brings up her age and his, and then that teenage stubbornness kicks in.

"You know I could just not play along. Unless your willing to get Hector to drag me kicking and screaming out of Engineering.. and even then you can't MAKE me learn." She tries, even though that slightly terrified look comes back. Clearly she's not in the habit of outright defying authority figures. Especially not when that defiance might end up involving someone as violent as Hector.
    Aidan_Cleary
    Aidan_Cleary

Post  Aidan_Cleary Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:24 pm

The Bishop looks like he is going to say something but then stops before he does. He then closes his eyes for a brief moment and then opens them and begins to speak.

"You are wrong, my child. I in fact can make you learn. My job is to act as your tutor. I am not going to fail at my task. You are going to learn quite a bit in the next 2 years. The only thing up for some debate is how you learn."

The Bishop looks very serious.

"I am offering you a personalized education plan that will modify over time as we patch the holes in your education. You have missed years of education that you should have received. There is a huge amount of information to cover. Most students have more than 4 hours of school a day. I am offering you less hours per day so that you can still perform your duties and still have some free time."

The Bishop pauses for just a moment, obviously giving enough time for his last sentence to sink in but not enough time to really respond.

"However, if you decide to fight your education I will have no choice but to utilize more extreme methods. I will just have to follow you around the ship and preach information to you for 8-12 hours every day. Even if you try to ignore me eventually some of the information will start to be absorbed."

The Bishop's tone softens and he smiles.

"I'm old and tired though so I would really prefer to have a less confrontational teaching relationship with you. I know education can be scary at times and I know that the idea of talking in front of everyone is even more so. However, I'm not going to make you do anything without first giving you the tools and information that you need in order to succeed. Lani and I both want you to succeed in life and having a good education is almost always crucial to achieve that goal."
    stareyed
    stareyed

Post  stareyed Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:54 pm

Kit shifts uncomfortably and looks sullen for a bit as she processes this. It's not that she was entirely agianst the idea of it... She'd alway felt that she was more clever than her parents had ever given her credit for. But she also didn't really see any reason for the finer points of 'book lernin', not when she had a trade already.

Besides... She'd left in order to have her own life, make her own decisions... not have to worry about having someone tell her what to do.

Though to be fair, Lani wasn't her mother, and the Bishop wasn't Ignis. They wern't going to knock her around and call her stupid. It could have also been a lot worse she suposed. Sure, she hadn't gotten any say in weather or not she even wanted a tutor... but Lani was giving her a home, a paying job, a way out... if some schooling was the price for that... Besides if the choice was 4 hours a day or endless days of sermonizing...

"Would you really do that?" she asks, a bit dismayed and deflated
    Aidan_Cleary
    Aidan_Cleary

Post  Aidan_Cleary Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:58 pm

The Bishop continues to smile at Kit.

"Don't test my resolve. Remember, I had to spend 15 years doing very hard missionary work just to get back into the Church. The years were not easy and yet I persevered and achieved my goal. Once my mind is set it is very hard to change it."

The Bishop chuckles very softly.

"With that said, I would really prefer not to make your life miserable for the next 2 years. I know you didn't sign up to be tutored and I know you are already a very skilled mechanic. That is why I want to focus on your weak areas. You had to grow up very fast and you missed out on some important things along the way. I thus simply want to fill in the gaps in your education."

The Bishop's tone changes. It is more serious again. However, there is no sign of anger or annoyance. It just seems really sincere and full of concern.

"You don't necessarily need me, Kit. You can go out into the world, practice your trade, and you would most likely be perfectly fine. However, your knowledge of the world would always limit your true potential. Education opens new doors. You're a smart and determined girl. I just want to help you become a well rounded adult by the time you leave this ship."

The Bishop smiles at Kit again.

"You're going to need to meet me half way though for this to really work well. Otherwise it's just going to be me preaching information at you and you're going to walk away from this ship with only a small fraction of the information that you really should."
    stareyed
    stareyed

Post  stareyed Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:58 pm

Kit frowns in thought. This was a rather new situation for her, having an adult actually reason with her, instead of demanding or threatening. She guessed he had a point, Even if she still wasn't entirely sold on the need for her to know the finer points. Besides, what was the worst that was going to happen? That she might learn something? That might not be so bad.

"Your Dad isn't an educated man, is he?" the Captian had asked after seeing one of the abusive messages Ignis had sent. It had been mroe of a statement than a question, cause Ignis' spelling was almost bad enough to make even Kit cringe. Ignis had a trade, some skill with mechanics, though not as much as Kit. It he'd been an honest, hardworking sort, he might have gotten farther in life... but he hadn't because he was ignorant, cruel, and stupid.

"Ok" She says finally "I mean, I guess it can't hurt none... so long as it dosn't interfere with what I need to do to keep us flyin'."
    Aidan_Cleary
    Aidan_Cleary

Post  Aidan_Cleary Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:03 pm

"Excellent! I'm glad that we were able to come to an understanding. I will start working on preparing your lessons. Your first lesson will be tomorrow. Please bring a notebook to write in and a reliable pen."

The Bishop pauses for just a moment.

"As for your duties, they take priority over your education but just barely. You are lucky that you are essential for the day to day running of the ship. It means every so often you might get some extra time to finish an assignment."

The Bishop chuckles again softly.

"I just wouldn't count on something breaking to save you. Being punctual is an important life skill. If an assignment is due and you don't turn it in or if it is incomplete you will be penalized. Also, please don't sabotage parts of the ship to create your own emergency. I doubt you will because you are a sensible girl but sometimes people do silly things. Just don't do it. I will know if you do."

The Bishop taps his forehead with two fingers.

"I'm a little rusty in terms of teaching. However, I have a degree in both theology and education and have taught hundreds of children and teenagers over the years. I am thus qualified to teach you. With that said, if you feel my deadlines are too quick or if you feel I am not giving you enough time to truly grasp the topic of the week we can discuss the situation and adjust as appropriate. As I said I am a little rusty so I'm willing to take your input."

The Bishop stands up.

"Do you have any additional questions for me?"
    stareyed
    stareyed

Post  stareyed Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:11 pm

Kit is aghast, utterly agast, at the implication that she might sabatoge the ship for such a stupid reason. she sputters a little bit in indignation but dosn't really get a chance to get a word in edgewise before he moves on to last questions. She huffs a little indignantly but lets it slide.

"Why not a datapad? Paper ain't exactly common." she asks a little sullenly, but seriously. He can almost hear the unspoken 'but I ain't got a noteboko or pen'
    Aidan_Cleary
    Aidan_Cleary

Post  Aidan_Cleary Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:40 pm

"I prefer paper and pen but a datapad should be fine. We will simply have to make due with the tools that we have available. Paper and pen are not as rare as they used to be 100 years ago since we now have so many colonies with trees being harvested. Synthetic paper has also come a long way. I'm sure Jolan could track down some paper for us if needed."

The Bishop smiles.

"However, it seems you will be more comfortable with a datapad so I'm willing to bend on the subject for your comfort level. You can do your assignments on your datapad and I will review them on the same device."

The Bishop pauses a moment, seemingly thinking.

"Speaking of assignments, I think I actually have one for you. We will start very simple at first. I want three paragraphs by tomorrow. Each paragraph should be 4-8 sentences. I want you to tell me about your favorite movie, story, and magazine. Each paragraph will cover one of your favorites. I want the three paragraphs as an initial writing sample so that I can pinpoint where you need the most work. Just tell me about the favorite thing and why you like it."

(OOC - It might be neat to create a "Kit's Assignments" scene and actually fill it up with written works/summaries of some of the assignments. I could then comment with Aidan. Might be fun back and forth. However, if you don't want to bother we can also just as easily say it is all going on in the background. I'm fine with either option.)
    stareyed
    stareyed

Post  stareyed Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:38 pm

She wrinkles her nose and sighs "Okay"

(OOC: I was thinking we'd just keep this thread going for overviews of classes and assignments turned in, but we can make another thread for the actually paperwork too)

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:50 am