Ad Astra

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A New Space Iteration

2 posters

A Visit to Engineering

Canatsey
    Canatsey

A Visit to Engineering Empty A Visit to Engineering

Post  Canatsey Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:40 am

Jolan a'Vi quietly walks down the metal rampart into the Engineering bay, the sounds of techno teen-bop echoing through the silent halls alerting him to Kit's presence within the chamber. Straightening his back and moving with a slight jerk to cause his numerous coins and jewelry to jingle as he walks, so as not to start her, he walks to teh opened door.

A well placed knock on the side panel, even though the hatchway was open he wanted to try and respect her space. "Hail the Engineer, do you have time to discuss a few matters with your bo'sun?"
    stareyed
    stareyed

A Visit to Engineering Empty Re: A Visit to Engineering

Post  stareyed Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:12 am

Kit pulls her head and upper body out of the electrical junction box where she had been repairing a few burnt out wires from the recent misadventures. She sit back on her heals, pushing some errant strands of hair out of her face, not noticing or caring that doing so left a grease smear acrost her forehead.

"Sure" She quips "Got Questions aobut the list I gave you?"
    Canatsey
    Canatsey

Post  Canatsey Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:51 am

He cannot help but extend his grin upon seeing her state, his shoulders relaxing and a small chuckle rising in his throat as he views how natural she looks amid the wires and grease. "Exactly. There's a few items on this list that I'm unsure we can afford, likewise there are a few on here I may be able to get retro versions of but I don't know if they're compatible with the internal systems. I thought it best to check with the Engineer first, before making payment selections."

Jolan pulls up his leatherbound book and starts to flip through a couple pages. "Oh, and you're not looking for shore leave for the holiday, are you?"
    stareyed
    stareyed

Post  stareyed Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:59 am

She frowns, having to think a moment. Holiday? what holiday? It takes a few moments for recognition to dawn on her face, followed imediately by a bored sort of dismissive look. "You mean for Thanksgiving? Naw, never celebrated it. Sides, it's an Earth holiday and I don't really plan to head back to Earth anytime soon... Which parts can you get retrofitted?" she changes the subject back to the business at hand, clearly more interested in talking shop than personal stuff.
    Canatsey
    Canatsey

Post  Canatsey Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:31 pm

Jolan cannot hide the relieved look on his face when she mentions not leaving ths hip and makes a small note with his pencil. "Right, no shore leave. We couldn't really afford paid leave anyway so..."

He quickly starts to flip through the book, eyes just for the business in front of him as he reviews his notes. "External cam's are nigh impossible to find at a decent price. I found a set that can technically work, but they're all analog and aren't compatible with the view screen for the helm. At worst we'd have to establish a secondary screen for the pilot or Nav-Ops to view at best maybe a pop-up window in Nav-Ops. That's a whole new panel though and a lot more wiring. Environmental should be fine, I was able to get a new unit for a decent price as long as we don't ask where we got it. Hull panels are going fine, we had a lot more internal repair due to the strike so that's eating up a bulk of costs."

He flips through her list and then frowns. "What's more important, a new communication array or head repair? As well, there are lighting issues in hydroponics and in crew quarters and there won't be enough left aside for both at the same time. Also...UV lighting tubes? What do we need those for?"
    stareyed
    stareyed

Post  stareyed Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:52 pm

She frowns considering "Our last set of external camera's wern't wired into the helm anyway. The main viewscrean uses a different system. What make model and model are the cameras? If they're anything that uses a standard 10mm electrical system I should be able to patch them into nav ops using the old wiring. Not all of it got fried and a good half of it's reusable. We'd still need about 30 extra feet of the same type of wiring....."

She frowns a little deeper, considering "Or... if you can get me 10 feet of 12mm... which should be a bit mroe reasonable, I can repair the spliced wiring for the refridgeration unit and pull out that stupid retinal scanner and it's input to the security feed. That should give me enough wire to fix the camera feeds... assuming the cameras you can get can use it."
    Canatsey
    Canatsey

Post  Canatsey Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:04 pm

Jolan flips through the notepad and makes a small note. "I'll wire the tech spec for the camera's to you later tonight. The extra wiring shouldn't be too much of an issue, and I think I found a few new lighting mechanisms for crew quarters we can barter if I can get that kilo of silk unloaded.."

He seems lost in his notebook for a few moments as he continues to write. "Right, that should about cover it. Any plans for the evening..?"
    stareyed
    stareyed

Post  stareyed Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:21 pm

"lighting for hydroponics is more important than crew quarters, unless you want to start eating nutrient paste." She comments, going back to finishing the last few solders on the wiring she had been working on while she talks, her voice echoing a little muffled out of the junction box. "And if the enviromental unit you mentioned gets here, i'm going to spend the night installing it and making sure it's not tracable." She pulls her tools out of the junction box and replaces the front panel, sealing it into place. "Actually, that's what the UV lights are for.... about a year ago some companies started using chemicals to imprint parts with an invisible serial registry... have to have a special scanner to see them and they're usally not placed with the engraved registry so Choppers go to file off the registry, but miss the other one. The chemicals they use are UV reactive though, so even if you can't read it, you can tell where they are and remove or file that section too." She shrugs off her obvious knowledge of repourposing 'hot' goods with a grin "that, and they make my hair extensions glow pretty"

Last edited by stareyed on Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Canatsey
    Canatsey

Post  Canatsey Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:37 pm

He gives a small chuckle. "Good thinking, we tend to just let engine radiation burn them off, your way sounds better."

Jolan makes a small note on his book. "And you still haven't answered me about tonight."
    stareyed
    stareyed

Post  stareyed Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:17 pm

"Yeah I did... fixing things." She stands and brushes off her clothes a tad self conciously. "We can't afoird to sit dirt-side too long before we get another job, She's gotta be ready to fly."
    Canatsey
    Canatsey

Post  Canatsey Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:36 pm

Jolan gives a solemn nod. "A very serious, totally respectable and agreeable idea if you ask me. Every minute spent dirt-side is one minute too long if you ask me..." he gives a small shiver and almost looks like he might be sick for a moment at the thought of staying here any longer than needed.

"I was out last night cruising a few of the seedier joints for parts when I ran into Cousin Hussein, apparently his ship is docked for a few days due to a celebration of a new buisness venture with a few mechanics unions here on the planet. There will be a big party tonight, dancing and storytelling and gift exchange to celebration the new businesses good fortunes. You're invited to come along with, if you feel the need to take a small break." he gives a small smile to her, as if understanding her desire to remain inside the ship.
    stareyed
    stareyed

Post  stareyed Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:02 pm

She frowns in thought and shuffles her feet and looks anywhere but at him for a a couple of moments. "um... I..."

she heaves a breath "Not yet? It's only been a couple of days and I'm.. still kinda processing."
    Canatsey
    Canatsey

Post  Canatsey Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:08 pm

Jolan moves as if to reach out and touch her shoulder, then thinks better of it and pulls his hand back. "Of course Kit, I understand. More so its an offer that is there if you'd like it, and so you don't worry if you don't see me on the ship later tonight."

he gives her his best reassuring grin and hooks his thumbs behind his suspenders. "No need to feel pressured into anything, I promise."
    stareyed
    stareyed

Post  stareyed Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:17 pm

She relaxes a little, but shuffles agian "Ok so... not right now. It's going to take me a bit... when I'm ready to start figuring things out, I'll let you know."
    Canatsey
    Canatsey

Post  Canatsey Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:44 pm

"Yeah, yeah. I understand...don't worry about it." Jolan gives her a ghost of a smile before snapping his suspenders back into place.

"I better get going, need to report to the Captain on requests for shore leave and all. Have a good night Kit."
    stareyed
    stareyed

Post  stareyed Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:17 pm

She shuffles and then nods "Goodnight. Have fun" She then gathers up her tools and moves onto her next repair project.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:50 am