A New Space Iteration

A Visit to the Security Officer

Admin
    Admin

A Visit to the Security Officer

Post  Admin on Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:19 pm

One night, after a show, Lani comes to find Hector.

"Hector, can you do me a favor? Can you get cleaned up a little and go down to the Fore & Aft pub on 23rd? It'll be quiet tonight, and there's someone who wants to have dinner with you."
    Hector

Re: A Visit to the Security Officer

Post  Hector on Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:53 pm

"They buying?"
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin on Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:09 pm

"No. I am." She smiles tightly. "Please? It's important." And rifling through her purse, she hands him a 100-credit chip card.
    Hector

Post  Hector on Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:02 pm

He eyes the chip suspiciously.

"Why?" His eyes narrow. "You trying to get me off the ship so's that you can take off without me?"
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin on Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:54 pm

"That might be difficult, since we're in New York and the ship is in Calivada," she says. "Just go to dinner, Hector. If you have a bad time, I'll buy you a new gun."
    Hector

Post  Hector on Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:49 am

"Okay, fine," he says, snatching the chip.

"Besides," he calls out as he walks away, "I'm gonna lie and say I had a bad time, anyway. Just to get the gun."
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin on Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:37 pm

At the pub, which is indeed fairly empty, there is a young woman waiting near the door. She is dressed in a pretty blue dress and a brown cashmere sweater, her chestnut-brown hair pulled back and kept out of her eyes with a barrette. She is pretty in a conventional way, very girl-next-door.

When she sees Hector, she blinks and goes very still, staring.
    Hector

Post  Hector on Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:22 am

Hector crashes down on the chair across from the girl, jostling the table.

"Alright, kid. Whatchu want?"
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin on Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:44 pm

"Mr....Varro?" she says quietly, still staring. She seems nervous, a little shaky as she picks at her rolled napkin a little.

And then, suddenly, she is pitching herself across the table to throw her arms around him, or at least attempting to do so.
    Hector

Post  Hector on Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:35 am

He yelps. Not a manly yelp per se, but it wouldn't do to ever impugn the masculinity of a man of Hector's size, so we'll speak no more of it.

After his macho vocalization, Hector's hand moves with unspeakable speed for his holstered pistol, finding empty space as the tiny arms wrap around his body. With a mind moving at a speed which would astonish those who know him, he remembered that feather-light touch as he snatched the coin from Lil's hand.

She lifted his gun! Without him knowing! His momentary confusion gives the girl enough time to fully embrace him.

Resigned to his mysterious fate, Hector looks down at the tiny head on his chest.

"Uh. . . what?"
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin on Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:58 am

As quickly as she'd done it, she ducks back again, taking herself back to her seat. Obviously embarrassed, her head bows. "I'm sorry. I just..."

When she looks up again, amidst the blushing, there's a wry little smile. "You don't remember me, do you? I guess you wouldn't. It's been seven years." A cant of her head. "I'm Christie. Christie Mills. I was...one of the kids you rescued at Garbonis. I was only twelve back then."
    Hector

Post  Hector on Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:55 pm

Hector seems taken aback momentarily. "Oh." His eyes dart to the side. "Yeah. Well, as fun as that was for me, the government didn't see eye to eye with me. Said I was a maniac psycho killer. Said I was deranged. A lunatic murder."

He leans close, eyes narrowing. "What do you think? Do I look like a maniac?"
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin on Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:47 pm

She doesn't flinch or move back as he leans forward, her expression solemn. "You look exactly like I remember you," she replies. "I was in Omega Ward., remember? You came in there and told us all to get out. Most of the kids did. I didn't. I watched you kill those doctors. I...I had been at Garbonis since I was four. No one had ever protected me. I never saw anyone make those doctors answer for what they did until you came. I wanted to see it with my own eyes - see that bad people couldn't get away with their evil.

"I still have nightmares about what I saw that day, what I saw you do. But I'm glad I stayed. I'm really glad."
    Hector

Post  Hector on Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:17 pm

He's quiet now. He leans back, and takes her in anew. He grins that goofy lopsided grin that often presages a whirlwind of incomprehensible brutality. Then, he laughs and shakes his head in amazement.

The moment passes and his mirth is gone.

"You're glad you stayed?" Suddenly, the image of her crouching in the shadows while he savages those sacks of meat and blood floats through his mind.

"Are you. . . okay?" It's easy to pick up on the unsaid question. Are you a maniac killer?
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin on Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:30 pm

"No," she says. "I don't think I ever will be. My parents had given me up for dead, and they made sure I got therapy. Coming home to them helped. A lot of the other kids were foster children - orphans, you know? I was lucky to have folks waiting for me. So I didn't end up as messed up as some of the others. But no...I'm not okay."

She looks at him, considering something. "You never...you don't know what went on there, do you?" The realization makes her blink. "I read the court transcript for your hearing. They said you'd found Garbonis by accident, that it was pure chance you stumbled onto it. At first, everyone thought one of the parents had hired you to find their missing kid, you know. But you just...what? You came across Garbonis and decided to kill the scientists when you saw us in there? Did anyone...did anyone ever tell you why we were there, or what was happening inside the complex?"
    Hector

Post  Hector on Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:49 pm

His face darkens.

"They kept me locked up for most of that trial. Didn't tell me anything."

He rubs his jaw with a massive palm. "Anyway, I saw enough of what they were doing to you kids to get me nice and angry. Not to say that I didn't enjoy the killing. And all of the little happy moments that led UP to the killing were particularly fun," he says, eye glinting with a dangerous madness.

"Just because I killed a bunch of bad people doesn't mean I'm a good guy." He waves his hand, obviously trying to push away any guilt or human emotion. "Besides, doesn't really matter what they were doing, does it? It's over. They're all long dead. And you got therapy, so I don't really know what's left to talk about, kid."
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin on Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:01 pm

"Look, I'm not stupid. I know it takes a certain kind of person to be able to massacre thirty-six people, whether those people are good or bad. I never glamorized you, Mr. Varro. Not even right after the rescue. In fact, I didn't even expect you to show up tonight. I know you didn't really care about us kids, beyond the basic notion of correcting an unfair fight and those scientists' evil being a great excuse to do what you enjoy most.

"You certainly don't care about me, personally. Why should you? But there's all sorts of consequences for what you did at Garbons, Mr. Varro - going to jail is one, having the lifelong gratitude and devotion of a skinny, messed up twelve-year-old is another. You gotta take the whole package."
    Hector

Post  Hector on Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:07 pm

"Truthfully, I wasn't told who was waiting for me. Only that I was gonna get a free dinner out of the deal. I figured if it was someone who wanted to do some punishing on me, I'd be able to reverse the curse and apply some of my own hurt salve. And if it was someone what wanted some green, I'd apply the fifty cent knuckle to their chin, too."

He looks at the girl again.

"Didn't think it'd be some braintilted girl who think I'm the cat's knees."

Snorting, he continues. "Wait, you're not here because someone is pushing you around and you need me to bash his head in, are you?"

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:53 pm